Sunday, January 4, 2009

A New Year and a new (well, new to me) means of sharing

Greetings in the name of the Prince of Peace, Jesus the Christ!

This new year has already brought a host of wonders. The wonder of families and friends together during the holidays, the wonder of sharing in the ministry at Mt. Lebanon Presbyterian Church, and the wonder of a daughter who patiently walked me through the steps to establish this blog site.

Much will likely follow, as I learn to make use of this means of sharing; sharing news of Becky's and my journeys, and sharing the Good News of Jesus Christ.

As I make this post, I am preparing a sermon to preach to my oversight committee, the CPM in the Presbytery of the Western Reserve. My sermon to them will be built on the parables of the lost sheep and the lost coin, stories that preface the parable of the prodigal son. The theme is having, losing, finding, and rejoicing in the reign of Christ.

Two days ago, a chance encounter and conversation led me to learn a real life story that had each of these elements. I met the father of Cole Ortega, a 14 year old from Bend, Oregon who was severely injured in July 2008 while surfing in Pacific City, Oregon. His dad, Charlie Ortega, shared with me the story of how their lives were forever changed when his son's arm was completely severed when he was hit by the propeller of a fishing dory. He told the story of the rush to the hospital, the miraculous surgical work that reattached the arm, and the 180 days since the accident filled with fears, angers, and frustrations. As I talked with Charlie Ortega, his son Cole, a world class snowboarder (He had been ranked #1 in the US for his age group), was back on the slopes, for the first time since the accident. This day was a day of rejoicing, rejoicing over the gift of life, rejoicing over the finding of what was thought lost.

The rejoicing in the stories of the lost sheep and the lost coin, and some of what I learned of the story of Cole Oretega and his family, is built on the intense searching and striving to regain what had been lost. And when rejoicing is in order, that rejoicing occurs best in community.

My prayer for you this day, and this year 2009, is that your searching and striving will lead to rejoicing. May your search be with God, strive toward God, and rejoice in God. And if you are searching for God, know this: God is always moving toward you.

No comments:

Post a Comment